Monday, November 7, 2011

Christmas Craft - Glass Ornaments

OK. I know it's not even Thanksgiving yet -  and I shouldn't be talking about Christmas. 
But, I'm trying to get ahead on my home-made Christmas decorations... Sooooo. Yeah, about that.

I saw this ornament on a blog I follow:
[photo from here]

And, in true Alison fashion, I thought: "Pshaw. I could make those."
So - here's my version.

To make these, you only need two things:

1) Clear glass ornaments from the craft store.


2) Dried plants, also from the craft store. 

I found TONS of dried plants at Michael's (a whole aisle dedicated to them!), but it was a little more tricky to find plants small enough to fit through the opening at the top of the ornaments (AND within my color scheme.)




The next step was easy. I cut the plants down so they fit into the ornament... and then stuck them in. Viola! Unique additions to any Christmas tree.




Word to the wise:  I suggest using something other than your fingers to push unruly branches down into the glass. One of the ornaments I used had a sharp opening at the top - which attacked my pinky finger. (Poor little guy got a nasty, bloody scratch. He's now being soaked in a vat of Neosporin.)

But, (other than this minor injury,) Christmas craft #1 = success. 

More ideas to come...

Happy Tuesday!

5 comments:

  1. I totally made these too, but with red feathers in berries inside! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those! They turned out great. I like Alicias idea about the berries & feathers too. Our colors are cream, gold & reds. Hmmm ... I'm thinking I see a trip to Michael's in my near future .....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feathers are such a cute idea!!! I couldn't find any that matched my colors - but I would have LOVED to incorporate them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fun -- I've done something like that the last couple of years. Use craft tweezers next time and you should be blood-free :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tip Fallon! I'm never using my fingers again...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...