Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Not the Cookies

Have you ever had gingerbread? 

Not the cookies, I mean real gingerbread. Real thick, ginger bread?

A few years ago, a friend's mom introduced me to this delightful holiday treat. And, now it's a staple in my holiday baking repertoire.

I was feeling festive tonight, so I made a batch. (Although, I didn't have molasses, so I cheated with the Trader Joe's box brand.)


With black tea and cream, and a dab of butter, it's a little slice of heaven. 

So, if you find yourself itching for something new this holiday season, I've included the recipe below. 
(Or, for lazy people like myself, I've heard that Trader Joe's has an excellent boxed version.)

Rindy's Old Fashioned Gingerbread 
Ingredients: 
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1 egg
1 cup molasses
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves
1 cup hot water

Heat oven to 350.
Beat sugar, shortening, egg. Add molasses.
In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cloves.
Combine wet and dry ingredients. Add hot water and mix until smooth.
Bake in 13"x9" greased pan for 25-30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...