Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Raisin Molasses Gems

Don't get me wrong, I love living with Zach in our own mini apartment.

But, during the holidays I sometimes miss living at home. Why? Because my mom's a crazy baker lady, and her house is always full of Christmas cookies.

Every once in a while, I'll get lucky: she'll overnight me a big batch of whatever she's concocted that week (this is your not-so-subtle hint, mom.) But there hasn't been a package for a while... and lately I've found myself craving some home-made delicacies.

So, tonight I rolled up my sleeves and baked my favorite of the Christmas cookies: Raisin Molasses Gems. (Recipe below.)


Now it feels like Christmas-time.


Raisin Molasses Gems

3/4 cup shortening (I use the organic, non-hydrogenated version)
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup raisins
sugar


Beat shortening and 1 cup sugar until light & fluffy. Add molasses and egg; beat well. Combine flour, soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger & salt. Add to molasses mixture; mix well. Stir in raisins. Cover; refrigerate until chilled (a few hours).

Shape into 1-inch balls; roll each in sugar. Place 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheets. Bake in upper third of preheated 350* oven for 10-12 minutes or until set. Cool 1 minute; transfer to wire racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...