Wednesday, March 28, 2012

MAKE IT // Cake Hats


Yes. I am already preparing for Zach's birthday party (remember the one we're celebrating on Cinco de Mayo?)

It's going to be an all-out Mexican fiesta - and I wanted his cake (the pineapple flavored one) to be dressed up for the occasion. So, I decided to make some multi-colored mini poof balls, stick 'em on skewers, and the plop them on that mound of sugary goodness. They'll be kind of like a hat... a cake hat. Muy fantastico, no?


I'm a fan of easy craft projects, and this is no different. I only used 4 supplies - things I already had in my house.

First, I cut small rectangles of tissue paper and layered about 10 of them together. Then, I folded them up like a fan and tied a twist tie around the middle.


Next, I had to figure out a way to attach the fans to the skewers.

I figured out that if I stuck the skewers between the remaining twist ties attached to the fan, I could wrap another twist tie around the first twist tie and hold everything in place. (You could probably just use *glue* too, but whatever.)

Example below. It looks a sort of ridiculous, but when they're finished, no one will see the sloppy underside. (Of course, anyone who reads this blog will now know these poof balls' dirty little secret.)


Finally, I separated the pieces of tissue paper and pulled them apart from each other. When you do so, it creates a little (poof) ball, if you will.



Be looking for pictures of these  guys on their new home (Zach's birthday cake) after the 5th of May!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for stopping by the blog! What whimsical cake toppers! My dear friend is getting married (how exciting!) and we've been looking for fun ideas. I'll have to show her this one! Lovely blog! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...