Wednesday, April 4, 2012

MAKE IT // Naturally Dyed Easter Eggs


Around the Easter season, I LOVE dying eggs.

It's probably because it reminds me of being a kid... or maybe it's because I get excited about all the egg-salad sandwiches I'll get to eat afterward... or it could be because I'm a staunchy old lady who likes tradition. (By the way, did you know staunchy's not a real word? My spell check is freaking out right now.)

Whatever the reason, I dye eggs every single year - without fail. But this year, instead of buying the ol' drug store dye tablets, I decided I wanted to go au naturel by coloring the eggs with foods I already had in my kitchen (plus, I'm lazy and like to avoid driving whenever possible, okay?)


The process was fairly easy. In my kitchen I found some frozen raspberries, a leftover beet (from this recipe,) and some colorful spices.


I mixed each of these items with boiling water and then waited until the mixtures reached room temperature. At that point, I strained all the excess so all that was left was colorful water. Then I added 2 teaspoons of vinegar to each. 


I left the eggs in these mixtures overnight, so the color had a chance to set. When I pulled them out the next morning, they looked like this:


There was some excess residue on the outer shell. So, once the eggs were dry, I rubbed them with a paper towel.

This gave them an antique-y texture.


Well look at that, kids: easy, dyed egg -  without any extra chemicals. Thanks, nature!

If you're planning to dye your eggs "naturally" this year, check out more color ideas at BH&G. Good luck!

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if you have time to look at this link (it's not my blog), but you can see how we make the Easter eggs in Romania, using red onion skins - well, you can see the pics, the text is in RO :) I don´t live there anymore, but still keep the tradition :)

    http://exploracuisine.blogspot.com/2011/04/oua-rosii-de-paste-vopsite-natural-red.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link! Those pictures are great - what a fun idea! I just might have to try this next year. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...